Strange characters appear in my Quark/InDesign document
Q: When I publish my data from CatBase and import it into Quark XPress or an Adobe InDesign layout, some characters appear weird!
A: There is a mis-match in character encoding between your page layout program and CatBase.
Solution: Don't worry - it is easy to fix!
There are two things to check:
- Check that the page layout program version number set in your CatBase Preferences is the same as your page layout program's version number.
- Go to the Admin main tab
- Select Preferences from the topics on the left of the window
- In the Publishing area on the first (Settings) Preferences page, you'll see a field labelled Page Layout Program Version Number. Enter your page layout's version number here.
- Select Unicode as the Character Encoding option for your Publishing Stylesheet:
- Select the Publishing main tab at the top of the window
- Expand the Publishing Stylesheets topic on the left of the window.
- Select your Publishing Stylesheet
- Go to the Preferences sub-tab
- There is a Character Encoding popup menu: select Unicode (UTF-8) from the popup.
- Click the Save button
Now try publishing some data again. All the correct characters should appear.